I grew up in a small, country town where our neighbor made cinnamon candy every year. She would give it to our family as a gift. I remember tasting it and thinking it was the most wonderful treat ever! She posted the recipe in our church’s cookbook! Score!! My mom started making it! Now Tristyn and I make it for our family. (By the way, not only is this candy delicious, but it will make your house smell like Christmas!!)
- 3 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1 cup white Karo syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp red food coloring
- 1 1/4 - 2 tsp cinnamon oil, depending on how hot you like it.
- powdered sugar
- Combine first 3 ingredients.
- Cook until hard crack using a candy thermometer. It will take 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in food coloring.
- Add cinnamon oil, stirring well to mix.
- Pour into a cookie sheet that has been well coated with powdered sugar.
- Sprinkle top of candy with powdered sugar while still hot.
- Cover pan with foil.
- When cool, break into pieces.
- Store in a covered dish.
- You can find cinnamon oil at most grocery stores, in the baking section. I found mine at Walmart in the Wilton cooking section.
My friends are sharing their favorite Christmas Recipes on their blogs today, too. Be sure to stop by and say hi!