The crockpot has to be the greatest thing this side of heaven, don’t you agree? I’m always looking for new recipes to throw in there. I’ve been looking for a chili recipe that doesn’t take too “chili-y.” Does that make sense? Too much chili powder makes me sick, which is why I LOVE this recipe. It is a mix between chili and stew.
- 2 lbs. ground beef (I used venison)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cans petite tomatoes
- 3 cups beef stock
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally
- 5-6 sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into bite sized pieces)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup chili powder (more if you like chili powder)
- 1/4 tsp red pepper
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Brown beef, onions, and garlic.
- Drain fat.
- Transfer beef and onions to crock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients to the crock pot.
- Simmer on low from 6-8 hours or on high 4-5 hours, or until potatoes are soft.
- Remove bay leaves.
When making soup or chili, I usually decide how much liquid I want. If I want more liquid, I’ll add more broth or even water. If I want more of a stew, I will add less. So regardless of what I put on the recipe, you decide how you want it. It’s YOUR chili! I also read all the cans of sauce. Make sure there is NO sugar added.
Enter your email address: