For the past several years, I’ve talked about painting my kitchen cabinets. What started out as “hey honey, I’m going to paint the kitchen cabinets white this weekend,” has turned into the biggest project I’ve ever done. Yes, I’m in way over my head.
There are so many things to decide when redoing a room. What color paint for the walls, what kind of faucet, what kind of handles, etc. can make your brain hurt! We are on a budget so we need to use our current cabinets and flooring.
I love the look of open shelves, but my husband isn’t a fan. Plus, I really need to hide all my stuff behind the doors.
I was looking through my old Cottage Living magazines and found this picture where someone raised her cabinets and adding a shelf. PEFECT!
I, also, love white kitchens! I want something bright but also cozy. It is so easy to get overwhelmed with all the possibilities with pinterest and so many wonderful blogs. I’m trying to stay true to my taste and style…and stay within our budget!
I just found this picture of my kitchen (before) and I now that I’m in destruction mode, I’m wondering just what was wrong with my old kitchen. It was cozy and clean…something I haven’t seen in a while. ha!
We are still in the renovation stage, but thought I would post our progress.
1. We took down that horrible fluorescent light. (HALLELUIA!)
2. We added recessed lighting.
3. We scraped the popcorn off the ceiling. MESSY!
4. We added beadboard and molding to our island. We are getting granite counters, so we are extending the island.
I still need to decide what color to paint it.
5. We raised our cabinets. (Sorry for the blurry pic. I only have an Instagram one. I’m sure I couldn’t find my camera in the mess.)
6. We added molding to our cabinets to give them more of a custom look.
7. We scrubbed our cabinets and painted them white. The hardest part is all the waiting between coats.
My living and dining room has been transformed to my work station. Just looking at these pictures make me cringe. I can’t believe my house is so messy!
Deep breath….I know it’s only for a season.
8. We painted and added open shelving below our cabinets.
Well, that’s about it. I wish I could show you the “after,” but we are still working on it. We are adding the microwave under the cabinet, to make room for a double oven. The granite should be here within the next 1-2 weeks and the ceiling will be textured and painted soon. The walls are primed and ready to paint but I have NO IDEA what color I’m going to paint them. If you have a favorite color, please let me know! I could use all the help I can get right now.
I hope you have a wonderful week!