One our our family’s favorite meals since I started eating Paleo 2 years ago is Paleo Chicken Stew. It’s the perfect comfort food! This is one of those recipes that “anything goes!” I always add more vegetables, because I like a hearty stew…and I love veggies! You can add more or less of anything. By the way, you will want to make plenty, because it is even better the 2nd day.
3 lbs chicken thighs, cut into pieces
1/4 cup almond or coconut flour
2 small onions, sliced
3 large carrots, sliced (about 2 cups)
3 celery stalks, sliced (about 1 cup)
mushrooms, sliced (optional) I usually add 5-6 medium sized mushrooms
(1) 32 oz container of gluten-free organic chicken broth plus 1 can of chicken broth
1 can full-fat coconut milk
bag of frozen peas
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a dutch oven, brown chicken pieces in coconut oil, bacon grease, or butter. Once browned, remove chicken to a plate.
2. Add onions. Cook until soft. Add 1/4 cup coconut or almond flour. Slowly pour about 2 cups of chicken broth. Whisk lightly. Boil for 1 minute or until broth is slightly thickened. Add the remaining carton of chicken broth.
3. Add carrots, celery, and mushrooms. Add chicken and any juices from the plate. Add more broth, if needed, to cover stew. Salt and pepper to taste.
4. Simmer for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
5. Add coconut milk and peas.
6. Cook another 10 minutes.
Serve with cilantro sprinkled on the top. Enjoy!
If you would like to read about why I started eating Paleo, you can read about it here.11 Comments